|Download Family Ministry Chart (PDF)|
|Download Family Ministry Volunteer Opportunities (PDF)|
Family Ministries at Emmanuel has a three-fold purpose - providing fellowship opportunities, care and support in time of need, and service to our community.
1. Helping Hands. Through the ministry of Helping Hands, our volunteers are serving members who are in need of meal assistance due to expected or unexpected events in their lives. Helping Hands keeps track of those who are on the prayer list and who may be in need of meals due to these events. Volunteers coordinate these meals through a list of individuals who prepare dishes and bring this food to the church for pick up or delivery. Member--please contact the church office if you are in need of assistance or would like to be a part of this program.
2. Prayer Network. Through our Prayer Network, we offer the prayers of the congregation up to Our Lord. Communication through the church office keeps the Prayer Chain aware of the congregational and individual needs. We have both a phone network and an email network.
3. Bereavement Ministry - Emmanuel needs volunteers to organize luncheons/receptions following funeral services. Please contact Shari Reaves at 252-1795 if you can help.
4. School Interaction. Family Ministries realizes that an extension of our congregation is our student body of Emmanuel Lutheran. With that in mind, Family Ministries reaches out to the students at registration, Advent and Lent by the distribution of age appropriate material such as Advent Calenders, pencils, and other materials.
5. Connecting Events. Family Ministries co-ordinates annual events that bring together our church and school families, in worship, food and fun activities for all ages. Some events are tubing on the French Broad River, picnics, and a pool party in August! Contact the church office to volunteer to help at email@example.com.
6. Johnston Elementary School Service projects. We collect Shoebox gifts at Christmas and Winter coats, hats and gloves during the winter season as part of our MLK, Jr. Day of Service.
7. College Student Project. EveryFall, Family Ministries gathers the names and addresses of our members who are either in Military Service or in college and sends these names out for "adoption" to the congregational body. We ask that those who adopt communicate at least monthly with the students or Military personnel, giving them news of happenings at Emmanuel and the Asheville area, "goody boxes," and prayers. The goal is to keep those who are away in communication with our Emmanuel family.
8. ABCCM. The ABCCM area of Family Ministries provides meals to the Asheville Buncombe County Christian Ministries·Vets' Center 3 to 4 times per month. Volunteers either prepare or serve food to those in need at the Center. We also send in food and toiletry items on a monthly basis to be used by the men's, women's and children's ministry of ABCCM.
9. Annual Easter Breakfast. Please join the Emmanuel Congregation as we come together in fellowship for an Easter Breakfast on Easter Sunday. The breakfast takes place in the Fellowship Hall. A sign-up sheet, for attendance , is located on the bulletin board in the Narthex or you can call the church office.
10. Asheville Pregnancy Support Services - Through financial and volunteer support we strive to affirm that each human life is created and gifted by God, that each human life is someone for whom Jesus Christ died, and that each human life is someone the Holy Spirit desires to call into an eternal relationship with Him.
11. OKTOBERFEST! Our latest Emmanuel tradition of celebrating our Lutheran German Heritage with fun filled activities such as a carnival for the kids, polka dancing to live German music--topped off by an evening German food meal. Come join the fun!
12. Annual Thanksgiving Dinner. Please join us as we come together in fellowship for a Dinner of Thanksgiving usually held two Wednesdays before the Day of Thanksgiving at 6:00 pm in the gym. The church provides turkeys & hams and we ask members to bring side dishes, desserts, and drinks.
13. Come Celebrate the Season of Christmas with us! Every year we have the ladies Advent Tea in the gym, the school's K-8 Christmas Program, the Early Childhood Christmas Program, the church's Sunday School Christmas Program and the church choir's Christmas Cantata. We also hold extra services on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 pm during the Advent season, culminating in 2 candlelight services (7:00/11:00) on Christmas Eve and a 10:00 am service on Christmas Day.
14. Habitat For Humanity/Thrivent Builds: Each year we help with a family home build in West Asheville for a selected family in need in conjunction with other area Lutheran Churches. We also sponsor an on-site Junior/Senior Youth Habitat Build where our middle school and high school age children learn building skills.
We are hopeful that this brief overview has increased your awareness of the Family Ministry Service. We would both welcome and appreciate your participation in our Ministry area!